English Language courses are typically designed for all levels of English as a second language learners. From higher earning potential to improved memory, the benefits of learning the English language are numerous and have been extensively listed in several articles in this blog. If you have read my English language roadmap, you will already know that the benefits of taking online English language courses are the convenience, flexibility and variety of offerings. The best online English course for adults helps students prepare for well-known English assessment tools, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
The IELTS and TOEFL are tests that grade your ability to listen, read, write and speak in English and are typically graded on a scale of 1-9. They are both accepted worldwide and are internationally recognized and most commonly utilized for employment, university applications and immigration.
Knowing what English language course to choose and how to make that decision can be a daunting task. Selecting the best online English course for adults is important because it will help you build a better vocabulary and advance your English language skills. We have put together a list of the best online English language courses for 2022.
How to Choose an Online English Language Course
Online English language courses come in many different forms, such as synchronous or asynchronous. Some offer more direction, while others are self-guided. It is important to identify your own personal goals and your level of commitment when selecting a course. Other things to consider include, the duration, curriculum, accreditation of the program, website features, activities, progression and cost.
As mentioned in my guide to choosing an English language course, the best online English course for adults will address the following:
· The English alphabet
· Proper grammar
· Reading and writing
· Sentence structure
Ultimately, the best English language course will depend on your individual goals (e.g. applying for an English University or preparation for TOEFL).
Best Online English Courses For Adults
Lingoda is a German based online language school that offers several courses tailored towards general English learning, exam preparation and business English. They offer several activities, such as Facebook Live practice, podcasts, and blog posts. They also provide a free English assessment to help you determine what level you are starting at.
· Live online classes available 24/7
· 60-minute small group or 1-on-1 private classes.
· No payment details are required before or after registration
· Over 1000 Qualified native speakers
· Caters to all levels from A1 to C2
· Self-paced learning
· Subscription cost varies by package
Mosalingua is an all-in-one tool for learning English quickly and efficiently. The program aims to help you progress incrementally. From simple words to more complex statements.
· Incredibly convenient classes
· You can get free access to other languages for the price of one
· You get a certificate that can be shared on LinkedIn
· Free 15 day trial
· Less focus on writing
BUSUU aims to help students learn natural real-world English by pairing them with experienced native English teachers from America and the UK . The app gives you the opportunity to practice with native speakers and real content, 24/7, from anywhere you like. Lessons are organized into levels according to proficiency. They seek to provide an immersive educational experience virtually for all.
· Free initial evaluation and needs assessment
· Fantastic app
· Community of over 100 million native speakers
· 100% money-back guarantee
· Free Progress reports every 25 class hours
· Monthly payments with no contract
· You must register and log-in to get access to any content
English Fluency Now is a platform by an American English teacher that has helped thousands of students around the world improve their English fluency. Through a combination of 18 hours of high quality audio content and articles she aims to help students improve career opportunities, successfully communicate with colleagues from around the world and ultimately feel confident in their English language.
· Over 18 hours of audio files (mp3) and more than 400 pages of text
· High-quality courses
· Courses delivered by a highly qualified teacher
· Incredible value for the quality of the content
· No app
Lingualia is not just a social network for learning languages and meeting people from all over the world to practice with, it’s a revolutionary new way to learn languages. The app works with Lingu – your made-to-measure teacher. Lingu is based on artificial intelligence which means he can automatically personalize each and every course to suit the student’s level across a variety of disciplines, their free time, and their motivation.
· Learn with didactic content
· High flexibility so you can learn whenever you want
· Learn with natives
· More than 200 lessons, 8,000 audios, grammar flashcards, dialogues with images and audios, and exercises with practical, realistic use of language
· May not be suitable for a tech newbie
6. Live English
Live-English is a platform that offers an easy and fun environment and improve by practicing your speaking skills. They offer spoken English and business English courses. Because they are tailored to your needs, live English conversation lessons are the best way to improve your English and to increase your confidence. This online English speaking course via Skype or Zoom will focus on English conversation skills. You will practice your English online with a private teacher and talk about every day topics in English.
· Free trial lesson
· Excellent English exam preparation
· Customizable lesson plans and one-on-one chat sessions
· Interview preparation courses available
· Only some features are free
Rosetta Stone is an app that offers courses that are broken down into categories. They aim to help learners speak English in conversations with bite-sized lessons that focus on delivering spoken words alongside visual and audio cues They have small exercises nestled inside each category that has a real-world themes (e.g. travel). The completion of lessons and classes unlocks more challenging concepts and themes.
· It has a fun, game-like structure
· Easy to use
· Three day free trial
· Advanced speech recognition software
· The speech recognition software has room for improvement
· Need to start with the topics offered to unlock additional topics
Preply is an online platform that aims for help you improve your English Fluency by providing you with expert tutors, immersing you in the culture and helping you speak naturally at affordable prices.
· Affordable prices
· 24/7 classes
· Easy to follow along with lessons from expert teachers
· Need to register for an account
The nice sounding highway to English offers a range online courses that will help you improve your communication skills. Through its synchronous learning system it focuses on helping users develop skills that can be applied in the workplace. They also offer classes for younger students to learn in an natural way that enables organic adoption of a new language.
· Perfect for those learning on a budget
· Excellent support
· Great career preparation
· Best for lovers of immersive learning.
italki is a global language learning community that connects students and teachers for 1-on-1 online language lessons, with over 7 million students and 20,000 teachers teaching more than 130 languages. italki provides an online platform for you to learn English with a personal native teacher. They believe firmly in the human interactive aspects of learning and their focus is on ensuring that you not only learn English but that at the end of your sessions you would be able to converse like an English native.
· Incredibly convenient as they are available 24/7
· 30% more affordable than offline tutors and schools
· They offer 1-on-1 lessons which provide you undivided attention with teachers
· Their emphasis on cultural context means that you will be able to blend easily if you ever visit an English speaking country
· Fantastic platform for those trying to practice for an exam like IELTS or TOEFL
· Not an app
11. English 101
English Class 101 is a combination of short videos and audio podcasts that are accompanied by written notes that summarize each lesson. They provide study tools, such as word lists, slideshows and flashcards to help accelerate learning. The availability of resources depends on your subscription. With a Premium subscription, students can access 1-on-1 lessons with a teacher who provides personal feedback, corrections and answers to any questions.
· Geared towards adult learners
· There is a community forum for interaction
· Learn to speak British or American English
· For full accessibility, a paid membership is required
· Not ideal for beginners with little to no knowledge of English
· Little feedback on your progression, unless you register for the PremiumPlus plan
Choosing an online English course is a personal decision that should be made based on your own goals and related factors. A good online English course will prepare you for tests, such as the IELTS and TOEFL, and empower you to feel comfortable to speak, read and write in English. It will also give you the foundation to excel in real-world situations, such as work or university. Knowing what to look for and what programs are highly rated can be overwhelming. Our list provides you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
Did you enjoy our list of the best online English courses for adults?
Let us know what you think in the comments and share this article with your friends!
What is IELTS? Retrieved from https://www.ielts.org/about-ielts/what-is-ielts.
TOEFL. (2021). News & Offers. Retrieved from https://www.toeflgoanywhere.org/.