These r and l tongue twisters will improve pronunciation by increasing flexibility when going between the ‘r’ sound & ‘l’ sound.
Some languages (such as Japanese) don’t have a separate sound for /r/ and /l/. Instead, they have a different sound which is somewhere in between the two. As you can imagine, this can make it much more challenging when trying to pronounce the English sounds!
After you have learned how to make the /r/ and /l/ sounds, you then need to use these tongue twisters to practise, practise and practise some more!
Start slow and gradually speed up as you become more confident!
R / L Tongue Twister Downloads
You can download these in PNG form, use them without needing to connect to the internet and feel free to print them out!
1. I rarely like rolling down the hill.
2. Do you really want to rely on ruling the left?
3. Red lorries run alongside the left road.
4. Reliability is being learned by Riley.
5. Lucky rabbits like to cause a ruckus.
6. Reading alone allows you to really relax.
7. Low rent allows regular lending.
8. I raked the leaves next to Lake Reeves.
9. I looked right at Larry’s rally and left in a hurry.
10. Irene leaned across the raft and laughed really loudly.